SurfPaints Interviewer Series
We hand-select individuals from our community to hear the stories behind their designs.
Hi Jan, Welcome to the SurfPaints Interview Series!
1. Can you introduce yourself? Age, location, occupation, surfing experience?
My name is Jan, I am 83 years old and from Wauchope in NSW. I am a mother to 5 kids, A Great Nana to 14 kids and a Great Great Nana to 6 kids. Do I surf...no ..but most of my family love the water in some way, So I am always by the Ocean.
2. What made you want to paint your surfboard?
At the request of my eldest son. He asked me to paint some art on his board before waxing it up.
3. What Surfboard did you paint, and why that one?
I have painted his 7' twin fin, and just recently, he bought a 9' mal, which he asked me to paint also, So watch this space.
4. Where do you get your inspiration from?
I love painting birds and animals…actually, I just love to paint. The Kookaburra has a large part of our hearts, as it is a bird of great sentimental significance to both of us. The Dragonflies are for good luck, and Whales, and Turtles are pretty amazing animals.
5. How do you rate your artistic skills?
As far as rating my artistic skills I just love painting.
6. Roughly how long did it take to complete?
It took about half a day
7. Any tips for preparing the surfboard before painting it?
This board was brand new so there wasn’t too much involved.
8. What was one tool or technique that helped you achieve this amazing design?
I draw the picture in pencil on a piece of paper first then I cut it out and trace it onto the board surface in pencil.I then paint outlines and then fill in the colours.
9. What is your favourite thing about using Surfpaints?
Surfpaints are so easy to use.The colours are really good and the paint covers really well.
10. One piece of advice you would like to give others about painting a surfboard for their first time?
Painting your boards make them a unique possession and also adds a very personal touch.
I think mums artistic skills are awesome.To have her artwork on my boards makes going for a surf pretty special as I know part of her is enjoying the surf with me...the Kookaburra is a symbolic animal of my dad. We all surf together.
If you would like to be apart of our Interviewer Series Email, firstname.lastname@example.org