1. Can you introduce yourself? Age, location, occupation, surfing experience?
Yo, my name is Ricky Basnett, 37yrs old, hailing from The Bluff in Durban, South Africa. Competed on the CT in my early twenties, but been a free Surfer and artist for the last however many years
2. What made you want to paint your Surfboard?
I need colour on everything!
3. What Surfboard did you paint, and why that one?
I picked up a clear 5,4 Hurricane Surfboards Twinny off the rack. It was crying for a pop of paint
4. Where do you get your inspiration from?
I am also a Handpoke tattoo artist, so traditional tattoo imagery has always been a firm favourite of mine
5. How do you rate your artistic skills?
I try not to compare myself to others. I just like making shit for the pure fun of it
6. Roughly how long did it take to complete?
About an hour or two
7. Any tips for preparing the surfboard before painting it?
Hot water and an old rag/sock to take off any stubborn wax you just can't scrape off
8. What was one tool that helped you achieve this amazing design?
SurfPaints and my hands
9. What is your favourite thing about using Surfpaints?
Great ink flow, super easy to get good coverage
10. One piece of advice you would like to give others about painting a surfboard for their first time?
Don't get caught up in making the end product absolutely perfect. Just put pen to board and enjoy!