SurfPaints Interview Series
We hand-select individuals from our community to hear the stories behind their designs.
Hi John, Welcome to the SurfPaints Interview Series!
1. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and the surf club you are a part of, if any?
G'day! My name is John Teske, the owner-operator at Ocean Adrift surf shop in Rainbow Beach, Queensland. I'm 51 years old and worked as a tuna fisherman for most of my life until moving to Rainbow Beach and opening a surf shop. I've surfed my whole life and always had a passion for art and the ocean.
2. We'd love to know how you came across SurfPaints. What is your favorite thing about SurfPaints, and why did you choose our products for this project?
I saw an ad somewhere about SurfPaints, so I decided to go online and get some to hide some dings and prettify some old boards. The best thing about SurfPaints is that it can conceal a ding and bring your board back to life.
3. Your painted surfboard has captured our attention. Could you share the story behind it and how you came up with the idea?
I came up with the idea to dress up some old surfboards for the wall, and now I have orders for specific designs and colors.
4. Can you share specific challenges you've encountered in your art projects and how SurfPaints have been a helpful resource in overcoming these challenges?
Not really sure if I've found any. I'm still learning, and the more I do, and when people show interest, it gives me inspiration.
5. Do you have any tips or advice for other artists who may be interested in working with SurfPaints or upcycling their own items?
I'm still learning and getting familiar with the product. Actually, a good tip is to keep your SurfPaints out of the sun, as the tips dry out really quickly, and don't press hard—let the pen do the work!
Bonus Question: What message or piece of advice would you like to impart to others who have a passion for arts and surfing?
Don't think you can't draw? Pick up a pen and give it a try; you might just surprise yourself with how much fun it is. And when you get good, it not only makes you feel good but also inspires others.
If you would like to be part of Surfpaints Interviewer Series, email us at email@example.com