We hand-select individuals from our community to hear the stories behind their designs.
1. Can you provide us with a brief background on your journey as an artist and tell us what you're currently working on in the world of art?
TL;DR: Be your own kind of creative and live your life authentically.
As a child, I couldn't draw well and thought I wasn't artistic. But later, I realized expression takes many forms beyond traditional art. Working as a visual merchandiser, I discovered I could express myself through design. This led me to start my own business in 1980, specializing in visual merchandising, event decor, and more.
Despite success, the stress led me to seek a change. Inspired by my character CoCoCheznaynay®, I embraced a new mission to be fearless and truthful. This journey led me to unexpected paths, including starting a scuba apparel company, ScubaDoRag.
In essence, my message is simple: Express Yourself.
2. We'd love to know how you came across SurfPaints. What aspects of Surfpaints do you find most appealing or inspiring for your art?
I need the colours to pop, be waterproof, and permanent. I was in search of paints to work on many varied substrates. Your extensive online information lets me know you are passionate about your products and our needs as creators who use them successfully.
3. Every artist faces unique challenges in their projects. Could you share specific challenges you've encountered in your art projects and how SurfPaints have been a helpful resource in overcoming these challenges?
The challenge in doing fine work with paint lies in controlling the brush to achieve fluent lines and designs. Surfpaints pens are awesome for this; drawing with paint becomes much easier to control. I undertake numerous projects that involve multimedia or require fine design, and when it comes to achieving precision, I can't go past Surfpaints pens.
4. Your painting projects are all unique and have captured our attention. Could you share with us your most favorite project and how you came up with the idea?
I bought SurfPaints to customize scuba fins (and have planned a paint party for other dive friends to paint their own). But I have not gotten to that project yet… Instead, I successfully utilized my SurfPaints to colour the background of Cave Arrows (I am calling them Carrows), which I am producing as ornaments, earrings, and necklaces - they are flashy and fun. I like the seriousness of technical diving but also enjoy making it fun.
The other project I posted and tagged you in was a used leather thrift store money bag that I will use at shows where I exhibit ScubaDoRag.
5. As an experienced artist, do you have any valuable tips or techniques that you could share with others interested in creating painting projects with SurfPaints?
Read and follow the preparation tips for the substrate you are using and be patient between colours.
If you would like to be part of Surfpaints Interview Series, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org