We hand-select individuals from our community to hear the stories behind their designs.
Hi Hi Taylor, Cooper & TJ (dad), Welcome to the SurfPaints Interview Series!
1. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and what surf club you are a part of etc?
Taylor, 11 and Cooper, 13 are with Cairns Surf Club and both compete at State level.
2. How did you come up with the idea to upcycle Taylor’s Nipper SLS board using Surfpaints acrylic paint pens?
As Cooper went up to a new Mal, Taylor inherited his board but we wanted to do his own spin on the board to make it feel more like his own. The local board painter up here was unavailable and I came across Surfpaints on Facebook. It was a perfect option as Taylor and his Mum love a project and it was a great way to make his board unique and full of character.
3. What is your favorite thing about Surfpaints and why did you choose our products for this project?
It is actually a carbon nipper board and the paint was thin, so not much sanding was required before applying. The pens worked really well.
4. How did using Surfpaints acrylic paint pens prove helpful in achieving your desired artistic outcome?
Lighter colours needed a couple of coats. Fluro’s and the black was the easiest on the board. I used the semi gloss for the first few clear coats and will finish with a full gloss.
5. Do you have any tips or advice for other artists who may be interested in working with Surfpaints or upcycling their own items?
Everyone at Surfclub is now wanting to know more and I have invited them to your page. Should be a few deliveries coming up Cairns soon. The club was talking about using the product to jazz up the surf boat from matte black.
If you would like to be part of Surfpaints Interviewer Series, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org